- Start Date: ASAP
- Job Location: Remote
- Job Type: Full-time (flexible) contract 12 months. Extension to 24 months possible.
- Salary: $80,000-90,000 USD based on experience
eQualitie is seeking an experienced P2P network protocol developer with a passion for distributed and decentralized technologies and the positive role they can play in defending and promoting human rights online. Apply to work with our team of talented engineers from the Censorship.no! initiative, to develop an open source application for easy peer-to-peer data synchronization and file sharing in challenging network environments.
Working in a distributed team, you will participate in protocol research, design, implementation and testing, leading to the release of a peer-to-peer data synchronization tool – Ouisync. Its purpose will be to replace users’ dependence on cloud solutions such as Dropbox, and connectivity within network environments that practice heavily filtering, as well as during sporadic Internet shutdowns. Ouisync will introduce device-to-device connectivity, feature non-fingerprintable encryption and be amenable to various transport protocols.
Your primary duties will include:
- Collaborating on P2P protocol design based on initial principles outlined at https://github.com/equalitie/ouisync/blob/design-doc/doc/design/design.md
- Maintaining the highest level of professional security and code development practices;
- Unit testing code for robustness, usability, and general reliability;
- Solving bugs and improving application performance;
- Listening critically and giving viable feedback to team members, managers, and outside groups;
- Keeping active documentation of your work and regularly sharing work produced;
- Meeting product timelines and deliverables.
You should also:
- Possess a deep understanding of important concepts from distributed systems., including the CAP theorem, DHT, Consensus, Version Vectors, and Onion routing;
- Have working knowledge of applied cryptography;
- Deep experience in network programming, including TCP and UDP protocols; understanding NAT and basic NAT traversal techniques;
- Have 3+ years of experience writing native (C++14 or Rust) applications;
- Have experience in a test-driven approach to software development & version control with git;
- Be comfortable working remotely and across multiple timezones, and reachable for at least 2 hours on working days between 9am – 5pm CET.
Would be great if you had:
- Excellent development credentials and years of experience working with a variety of technologies;
- A strong desire to work on free and open source software;
- Experience with Android / iOS development;
- Experience writing user interfaces.
eQualit.ie is a small company run on not-for-profit principles. Our goal and motivation is to promote and protect human rights in the digital age. We solve complex technical problems for improving digital defenses, introducing privacy to online activity, enabling freedom of expression and association. This project is fairly new and the code can be found at https://github.com/equalitie/ouisync-app and https://github.com/equalitie/ouisync. It builds on knowledge and technology from https://censorship.no
How to apply
Please send your resume and a cover letter explaining how your experience and motivation match our requirements. Include your Github username or another platform where we can see your previous projects. Note that selected candidates will be asked to perform a (non-project related) coding challenge.
eQualit.ie welcomes applicants from all backgrounds. We are a remote-first company and offer flexible working arrangements. We are keen to hear from people who consider themselves under-represented in the software, technology or FLOSS communities – even if they feel they meet only some of our needs. You can read more about our values here https://equalit.ie/en/values/